Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Kids, and Pictures

One thing I really like about the seminary is that there are families that live here, because the parents are going to school and have young children. That means there are a lot of kids who are fun to hang out with and they really like us gringos.

Daniel and Jeremy discovered my headlamp in my dorm yesterday and asked what it was. They were immediately mesmerized when I showed them how to turn it on and change colors, and they both wanted to wear it around. Jeremy put it on and went into the bathroom where it was dark, but he accidentally locked himself in, and Gustavo (my Columbian roommate) spent a few minutes trying to get him out. When the boys started running around outside, I asked if I could take some pictures of them and immediately they got even more excited. They wanted to use the camera themselves and when I gave it to them they started taking pictures of everything. Pretty soon their friends got in on it too and they were having a blast with both the camera and the headlamp. Almost a hundred pictures later, I realized that I’d found a good way to connect with the kids.


Speaking of pictures, I haven’t taken many yet because I’ve only been to places where my camera could be stolen. The seminary is in Carcelen, which is a rougher area in northern Quito and I don’t want to draw attention to myself as a tourist. I’ve seen so many cool things that I’ve wanted to photograph, but I’m going to wait until I get more comfortable with the area. But it looks like I won’t have to take too many pictures because the kids will do it for me.



Here is what the view looks like from the academic building. The three buildings below are the dorms (I live on the opposite side of the second) and the mountain in the background is Pululahua (about 11,000 ft). The soccer field behind the first building is where the Ecuadorian national team practices, so we can watch them sometimes. I'll try to get more pictures later. Hasta luego!

1 comment:

  1. You are so right about the camera and the headlamp: what a great idea. Stay safe.
    Richard T.

    ReplyDelete