Sunday, May 1, 2011

Thailand & Cambodia

Wow. It’s crazy to think the school year is already over. It feels like it just started not too long ago. Now summer is officially here, and I am going to travel a little bit again, this time to Thailand and Cambodia. I’m leaving tomorrow! :)

Our school has a program called Juniors Abroad, where juniors can travel in May. I’m going with a group of 25 students, including my girlfriend, Lauren. There are a bunch of trips offered, but this one sounded perfect for me because (a) I want to go back to Asia, (b) I want to see more third-world countries, and (c) I want to go somewhere warm. Check out this week’s forecast in Bangkok: all the highs are in the 90s and all the lows are in the 80s, with thunderstorms. This part of Southeast Asia is between the Tropic of Cancer and the Equator.

I really enjoyed blogging last fall and now I kind of miss it. I realized that I don’t need to be abroad to have fun and awkward experiences. For example, on my third day back at school this semester my backpack snagged the fire alarm in the cafeteria. A couple hundred people had to evacuate outside in the pouring rain until the fire department got there. Awkward experiences tend to find me wherever I am. I was able to do some fun stuff too. This semester I went on a few hiking trips, a beach trip, spent a weekend in Seattle with Lauren, and went home for spring break. On the less fun side of things I ended up with both Salmonella and Giardia, complements of Ecuador. These brought some unfortunate complications with the health department before I could start working in an elementary school classroom.

Speaking of bad things that happened in Ecuador, I will not be bringing my computer on this trip. I don’t want to have to learn that lesson again. I might not be able to blog while I’m down there, but I will try and reflect on some experiences whenever I can. I’ll have a notepad with me so I will keep track of thoughts, awkward experiences, and the crazy culture. The first two weeks are going to be in Thailand and the last week will be in Cambodia.

แล้วพบกันใหม่ (Laaeo phohp gan mai)
Until we meet again!

No comments:

Post a Comment